Latest civil service & public affairs moves — October 30
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy: UK Government Investments – Tom Cooper and Candida Morley joined as directors, and Michael Harrison and Henry Lloyd have been promoted to become directors; UK Research and Innovation – Jennifer Rubin appointed as executive chair from 1 April, Harpal Kumar as innovation champion; Pubs Code Adjudicator – Fiona Dickie appointed as deputy pubs code adjudicator from 1 November.
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Antony Phillipson has been appointed Her Majesty’s consul general in New York and director-general of international yrade North America; Martin Longden has been appointed as the UK's special envoy to Syria in succession to Gareth Bayley; Kate Airey has been appointed British high commissioner to the Republic of Namibia.
- Department for Education: Richard Pennycook to be lead non-executive board member; Maria Caulfield MP, Stephen Metcalfe MP and Trudy Harrison MP named as apprenticeship ambassadors; Helen Grant MP replaced Nus Ghani MP as chair of the Apprenticeship Diversity Champions Network; Trudy Harrison MP appointed as co-chair of the Apprenticeship Delivery Board; Dominique Unsworth has been appointed as an SME ambassador.
Houses of Parliament
- House of Lords: Baroness Trumpington (Conservative, life peer) retired; Secondary Legislation Scrutiny Committee – Baroness Blackstone replaced Baroness Gould of Potternewton as a member; Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006 Committee – Lord Cavendish of Furness replaced Baroness Scott of Bybrook as a member.
- House of Commons: Jared O’Mara suspended from the Labour Party; Women and Equalities Committee – Jared O’Mara resigned as a member; Backbench Business Committee – Chris Davies replaced Rehman Chishti as a member; Procedure Committee – Dan Carden and Bambos Charalambous appointed as members; Welsh Affairs Committee – Stephen Kinnock and Liz Saville Roberts appointed as members; Work and Pensions Committee – Emma Dent Coat replaced Marsha De Cordova as a member.
- UK Independence Party: David Kurten reappointed as spokesperson for education and apprenticeships.
Local Authorities: by-election results 26 October
- Tameside Council – David Mills elected for Droylsden East – Labour hold.
- Kirklees Council – Habiban Zaman elected for Batley East – Labour hold.
- Derbyshire Dales Council – Dermot Murphy elected for Ashbourne South – Conservative hold.
- Charnwood Council – Mary Draycott and Colin Hamilton elected for Loughborough Hastings – Labour hold.
- Herefordshire Council – Stuart Anderson elected for Kings Acre – Conservative gain from It’s Our Country.
- Mid Sussex Council – Rex Whittaker elected for East Grinstead Imberhorne – Conservative hold.
- HS2 Ltd – Chief financial officer Steve Allen to stand down in March.
- Energy UK – Lord Hutton announced as the new chair.
- ITV – Mary Fagan to stand down as group communications and public affairs chief at the end of the year.
- RNIB – Acting chief executive Sally Harvey has been given the role on a permanent basis.
- Public Concern at Work – Francesca West to replace Cathy James as chief executive.
- The Brazelton Centre UK – Madeleine Cassidy appointed as chief executive.
GLD is hiring lawyers from the north of England to work in new...
Report suggests Chancellor Philip Hammond is not planning to offer cash to fund a pay rise
Top government officials detail list of changes to 85 IT systems at the UK border required...
New research carried out with Civil Service Employment Policy...
BT takes a look at the shifting nature of cyber threats, and how organisations can detect and...
Microsoft shows a few of the ways that governments can turn data into insight
With the ‘low-hanging fruit’ exhausted, the public sector must approach new government saving...
TCS is keen to contribute to the topic of successful partnerships between the public and private...